Texas A&M AgriLife has received word from Dale Scott, Texas Department of Agriculture, that EPA has granted a Section 18 request to allow the use of Dow AgroSciences' Transform (Sulfoxaflor) on Texas sorghum for control of sugarcane aphid in 2016.
This is good news in that the state now has two very effective insecticides for use on sugarcane aphid (Transform and Sivanto), and both preserve beneficial insects that have a major affect on controlling aphid populations after initial insecticide application.
The Section 18 label for Transform (Sulfoxaflor) use on sorghum to control sugarcane aphid has been released, and the official version will be posted on the TDA website by Tuesday, April 12. A copy of the label must be in hand when applications are made. The Section 18 Emergency Exemption became effective on 8 April 2016 and expires on 8 April 2017.
Here are some specifics from the Texas Section 18 Label.
• Rate range: 0.75 to 1.5 oz. per acre.
• Application by ground or air (no chemigation).
• Wind speed not to exceed 10 mph.
• Droplet Size: Use only medium to coarse spray nozzles (i.e., with median droplet size if 341 μm or greater) for ground and non-ULV aerial application according to ASABE (S 572.1) definition for standard nozzles. In conditions of low humidity and high temperatures, applicators should use a coarser droplet size except where indicated for specific crops.
• Boom height for ground application: Not to exceed 4 feet.
• Carrier volume for ground application: A minimum of 5 to 10 gallons per acre – to be increased with increasing crop size and/or pest density.
• Carrier volume for aerial application: A minimum of 3 gallons per acre, but a minimum of 5 gallons per acre is recommended.
• Preharvest Interval: Do not apply within 14 days of grain or straw harvest or within 7 days of grazing, or forage, fodder, or hay harvest.
• A restricted entry interval (REI) of 24 hours must be observed.
• Do not make more than two applications per acre per year.
• Minimum Treatment Interval: Do not make applications less than 14 days apart.
• Do not apply more than a total of 3.0 oz of Transform WG (0.09 lb ai of sulfoxaflor) per acre per year.
• Do not apply product ≤ 3 days pre-bloom until after seed set.