SGS offers novel plant molecular breeding and analysis services
Mar. 9, 2018
We are pleased that this acquisition extends the range of services SGS can offer to the seed, crop and food industry with a wide suite of molecular analysis services ranging from genotyping technologies to DNA sequence analysis e.g. of specific genes. The global seed market is worth an estimated USD 46 billion, with a significant sum invested in research and development including, increasingly, marker-aided breeding and phenotyping/genetic methods.
The advantages for the industry are clear – by the proper use of molecular markers in the laboratory, crop variety developers can select plants with the desired traits at a much earlier stage. This reduces the need for early field trials, while saving businesses both time and money.
Industry and academia are looking to outsource method development and routine testing programs to the private sector, but they must be assured that the services they receive are robust and adhere to all professional international standards. TraitGenetics has a reputation for providing high-quality services together with being at the forefront of plant genotyping research and technological developments.
From its base in Germany, SGS can now offer a wide-range of services to both domestic and international seed companies. The specialized competences at TraitGenetics fully complement SGS's existing contract research services. The lab is equipped to support method development as well as high throughput analysis during breeding programs based on technology platforms including Illumina MiSeq, Infinium, Affymetrix Axiom, TaqMan, KASP, Capillary electrophoresis (ABI 3730xl), and SANGER sequencing.
Services to the seed industry include:
- Molecular diagnostics (genotyping) from single markers to many markers
- Genetic mapping and other analysis (e.g. GWAS, genetic relationship analyses)
- Custom microarray development
- Seed analysis including variety identification and homogeneity determination
- Microarray genotyping services
- TILLING and the identification of novel mutations established with novel breeding technologies
- Bioinformatics services
- Consultancy and data management
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Martin Ganal
t: +49 39482 79970
More from AgroNews
- Higher tier testing would answer neonicotinoid pesticide question
- Technical innovation has won a good reputation for Xinnong
- Brazilian justice drops suspension of glyphosate
- Sapec Agro Business: Continues the expansion in existing markets and increases the presence in growing markets and new territories