Winfield United: Four things farmers should know for 2017
Jun. 13, 2017
Key learnings from 2016 trials include:
1. Belowground traits beat corn rootworm. In fields at risk of corn rootworm infestations, farmers should consider planting hybrids with belowground traits to provide consistent protection instead of insecticide applications. Answer Plot® data demonstrates that Genuity® SmartStax® hybrids deliver a consistent yield advantage compared to hybrids without belowground traits.
2. Expect results from fungicides. Fungicide applications are worth the cost, even with low commodity prices. Answer Plot® data for 2016 shows a strong yield response to fungicides in both corn and soybeans. Across all locations, an 88 percent positive response rate was observed in corn and a 92 percent positive response rate was observed in soybeans.
3. Split N for higher yield potential. Applying nitrogen when plants need it most helps farmers save on the financial and environmental costs of nitrogen loss. Answer Plot® 2016 data shows side-dress nitrogen applications at V4 and treatments with a Y-DROP® applicator at V10 led to significant yield advantages over base rate.
4. The right seed yields results. During 2016 Answer Plot® trials, we used applied science to analyze and compare statistical data between several different seeds. From soil type and disease risk to crop rotation and response to nutrient applications, farmers should be sure that the seeds they plant can meet the challenges of the new season.
Ongoing Program Provides In-Field Benefits
The Answer Plot® Program continues to lead the industry with unrivaled research and demonstration programs. In its 19th year, the program features Answer Plot® trials conducted at nearly 200 locations across 30 states and in five countries, and produces more than 6 million data points at local, regional and national levels.
Farmers can use replicated seed trial data and insight trials from the Answer Plot® Program to make smart decisions for their own fields, or they can attend in-season events to see how products and management practices are working to make those decisions in real time.
To learn more about the Answer Plot® Program, including agronomic insights and information on events in your local area, go to answerplot.com.
About WinField United
WinField United is the seed, crop protection products, agricultural services and agronomic insights business of Land O'Lakes, Inc. As an industry leader, the business focuses on meeting the needs of nearly 1,300 locally owned and operated cooperative and independent agricultural retailers and their grower customers across the United States. Through data-backed, insight-driven agronomics, operational excellence and sustainable solutions delivered under the WinField® United, WinField® and United Suppliers® brands, the business helps retailers successfully meet farmers' needs.
More from AgroNews
- Beijing Multigrass releases Gibberellic acid, draws wide response from global distributors
- 2,4-D survey in China：Oversupply has occurred, still facing challenges from environmental protection pressure
- 2018 CPEW will hold a closed-door Business Matching Meeting for overseas participants and leading Chinese agrochemical suppliers
- Monsanto: Ushering in the Next Wave of Agriculture Innovations with Emerging Tech Trends and Integrated Solutions for the Farm