Oct. 13, 2017
The Crop Farming Department of the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture has set up a Pesticide Administration Bureau, which will be fully and solely responsible for the administration of the pesticide industry. Its scope of work includes pesticide industry planning, the provision for industry guidance, administrative licensing, supervision and penalization.
The function and task of the Pesticide Administration Bureau include the following:
1. To draw up the strategy and planning for pesticide industrial development, and to propose and implement relevant policies.
2. To draft pesticide-oriented law, regulation and technical standard, as well as to supervise the implementation of the same.
3. To give guidance on the establishment of the pesticide administration system; to assume responsibility for the supervision of pesticide production, marketing and quality assurance and to guide the local agricultural administrations on the issuance of permit for pesticide production and marketing.
4. To assume responsibility for pesticide registration, identification of registration-related testing agency and approval of novel pesticide registration trials.
5. To collect and analyze information on pesticide industry; to make statistics of pesticide industry and to give guidance on pesticide market regulation.
6. To organize and carry out pesticide-use risk monitoring and assessment; to publish alert information and to give guidance on the scientific use of pesticide, as well as on pesticide injury appraisement.
7. To organize determination of pesticide residues and the detection method pertaining to edible agricultural product.
8. To conduct pesticide-oriented international exchange and cooperation and to perform the obligations under the international convention on pesticide, such as the Stockholm Convention and the Rotterdam Convention.
The new issue of the Regulation on Pesticide Administration came into effect on June 1, after being approved by the State Council of China. The regulation stipulated that the functions of AQSIQ (General Administration of Quality Supervision) and MIIT (Ministry of Industry and Information Technology) for the grant of pesticide production permit are delegated to the Ministry of Agriculture. Pesticide registration, grant of production and marketing, as well as market supervision, are all placed under the sole responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture.