Hartung Brothers to acquire Syngenta operations in Hawaii
May. 15, 2017
As part of the agreement, Syngenta will contract current Hawaii-based seed production activities from Hartung. The purchase ensures ongoing crop innovation will continue to be part of Hawaii agriculture, which plays an important role in food production for the U.S. and around the world.
Ed Attema, Syngenta head of Global Seed Operations, Production & Supply, said, “We are extremely pleased to have this agreement with Hartung Brothers for our Hawaii sites. The goal has been to have our employee talent base and facilities maintained and to contract work with the new owner, and that will be achieved.”
“Our company is very much a family business rooted in the work ethic instilled in us by our parents Lorna and Galen Hartung,” said Dan Hartung, President, Hartung Brothers, Inc. “We are excited about the opportunities this acquisition will bring our current customers. It will also allow us to expand our customer base with new capabilities. We are very impressed with the current Hawaii management team and employees. The dedication, knowledge and pride shows in all they do.”
On August 29, 2016, Syngenta Seeds, LLC announced its business operation would change in Hawaii by selling its two operations in the State, on Oahu and Kauai. The purpose was to pursue a different operating model by contracting current Hawaii-based seed production activities with the new owner. Syngenta remains committed to the unique benefits of developing agricultural innovation in Hawaii – experienced people, stable weather and good soil. Syngenta will continue to be part of the important role Hawaii plays in agriculture and food production for the U.S. and around the world.
Hawaii operations facts
• Operations – approximately 4,000 acres for inbred and hybrid seed production at sites on Oahu and Kauai
• Workforce – more than 100 full-time employees and a number of contract employees throughout the year
• History – Syngenta or its predecessor companies have had operations in Hawaii since the late 1960s
About Hartung Brothers, Inc.
Hartung Brothers, Inc (HBI), established in 1975, is a family owned agribusiness based in Madison, WI. HBI operates seed facilities in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. The focus of the seed business is to provide customers with outstanding quality seed and services. Vegetable production operations, span 6 states and SW Ontario, and currently includes green beans, cucumbers for pickling and carrots. HBI is dedicated to our customers and employees, building lasting relationships. As a strategic supplier to Syngenta, HBI has provided seed corn production, processing and distribution services for Syngenta and legacy Syngenta companies on the mainland U.S since the 1980’s.
More from AgroNews
- Beijing Multigrass releases Gibberellic acid, draws wide response from global distributors
- 2,4-D survey in China：Oversupply has occurred, still facing challenges from environmental protection pressure
- 2018 CPEW will hold a closed-door Business Matching Meeting for overseas participants and leading Chinese agrochemical suppliers
- Monsanto: Ushering in the Next Wave of Agriculture Innovations with Emerging Tech Trends and Integrated Solutions for the Farm