Origin Agritech announces biotechnology trait pipeline update
−− Exciting milestone achievements related to company's pillar I & II platforms
Dec. 15, 2016
"We have very exciting news on key milestone achievements for our biotechnology research program," said Dr. Bill Niebur, Origin Chief Executive Officer.
- Comprehensive data packages have been submitted for our leading biotechnology traits, insect resistance and herbicide tolerance, as required for China regulatory Safety Certificate (Phase 5) issuance.
- Origin's first generation biotechnology trait for insect resistance and herbicide tolerance (PEST/WEED) has been successfully exported from China to the U.S. with permits from the Chinese and U.S. governments. This initiates the global regulatory approval process and represents the first export of such technology by a Chinese company to a strategic partner based in the U.S.
"These approval steps underscore the Ministry of Agriculture (MOA), Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science (CAAS) and Origin's commitment to contributing to strong technology relationships, seed industry innovation, global compliance, improved competitiveness of the Chinese ag tech industry and the critical effort on food security," Dr. Niebur said.
"I am pleased to announce to stakeholders our recent achievements in the strategic pillars of our business," said Dr. Jihong Liang, Origin Chief Technology Officer.
Pillar I: China-based biotech traits & seed products
- In 2016, Origin completed the laboratory and field production trials for its first generation PEST/WEED trait. In these trials, molecular characteristics, field efficacy, environmental safety and food safety were thoroughly evaluated and the results met critical biosafety regulation standards.
- Dossiers summarizing the laboratory and field-test studies internal to Origin and in collaboration with third party research labs were submitted in November to request Phase 5 Safety Certificate approval.
- In 2017, Origin's first generation WEED and PEST/WEED traits will be incorporated into the elite corn inbred lines of Origin and into the products of leading Chinese seed industry partners preparing for future regulatory approval and commercialization.
- Parallel to the milestones achieved in Pillar I, Origin has made strong progress in seeking global approval for our lead biotechnology trait event (PEST/WEED).
- Origin has successfully requested and received the first transgenic corn seed export permit from China's Government agencies, following required protocols. Our U.S. collaborator has secured an importation permit for these seeds from the United States Department of Agriculture ("USDA"). In late 2016 corn seeds containing our lead trait event and a back-up were successfully shipped from China to the US and planted in a USDA designated greenhouse.
- Corn seeds carrying Origin's insect resistance and herbicide tolerance technologies developed in China will enter collaborative field experiments next summer to conduct testing required by the USDA, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- "We are extremely pleased with the latest advances in our Pillar I and II growth platforms. Our goal to become the preferred technology partner for and from China has been enhanced through the science and collaboration described today," said Dr. Niebur. "In addition to today's announcement, we look forward to providing future updates on Origin's Pillar III North American non-GM/Organic business launch, as well as review of our full year 2016 financial results."
Origin Agritech Limited, founded in 1997 and headquartered in Zhong-Guan-Cun (ZGC) Life Science Park in Beijing, is China's leading agricultural biotechnology company, specializing in crop seed breeding and genetic improvement, seed production, processing, distribution, and related technical services. Leading the development of crop seed biotechnologies, Origin Agritech's phytase corn was the first transgenic corn to receive the Bio-Safety Certificate from China's Ministry of Agriculture. Over the years, Origin has established a robust biotechnology seed pipeline including products with glyphosate tolerance and pest resistance (Bt) traits. Origin operates production centers, processing centers and breeding stations nationwide with sales centers located in key crop-planting regions. Product lines are vertically integrated for corn, rice and canola seeds. For further information, please visit the Company's website at: http://www.originseed.com.cn or http://www.originseed.com.cn/en/.
More from AgroNews
Subscribe to daily email alerts of AgroNews.