Market insights on Ecuadorian agriculture
Sep. 21, 2016
- Market insights on Panamanian and Costa Rican agriculture
- Market insights on Bolivian agriculture
- Market insights on Chilean and Peruvian agriculture
- Market insights on Colombian and Paraguayan agriculture
- Market insights on Mexican agriculture
- Market insights on Argentine agriculture
- Market insights on Brazilian agriculture
Cocoa production continues to increase as demand for Ecuador’s high-quality cocoa keeps growing worldwide. Cocoa farmers are slowly but steadily improving the technology on their farms. More farmers are establishing disease prevention, weed control, and fertilization programs based on soil analyses---practices that were once quite rare.
Global palm oil prices have dropped, making the product less attractive to farmers. This has resulted in a reduction in the supply of fertilizers and crop protection products. Crystal Chemical was the first company to export an ag-chemical produced in the country, and now is currently exporting from Ecuador to 6 Latin American countries. Crystal says that this year, there was strong concern over the potential effects of El Niño, but luckily, it was not as bad as the one in 1997–1998. That was a disaster for many crops. This time, damage to crops was limited to the most susceptible areas.
The following table shows the main crops (by area) and corresponding pests/diseases/weeds in the Ecuadorian market:
More from AgroNews
Subscribe to daily email alerts of AgroNews.