Jun. 24, 2015
- Mr. Seiji Takamura
1946- Born in Fukuoka prefecture of Kyushu island in Japan; 1965-69 Studied agronomy in Kyushu University; 1969- Joined UBE Industries,Co.Ltd.; 1969-1988 Wor...
- The Japanese agrochemical market is mature and stable
- The sales of multinationals share 25% total sales and appeared no increase even decrease
According to the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (JMAFF), Japanese agrochemical market value in 2013 reached $2.99 billion, 2-3% up year on year.
The entry level to 2012-2013 top 20 Japanese agrochemicals is JPY 4.7 billion. The sales of the No.1 Syngenta is 32.3 JPY billion. Its market share is only about 8.9% and only 6.8 times of the No.20 ranking Hokusan Co Ltd. Though 1.9% of decrease was shown, Syngenta was still the No. 1 in Japan. No big scale of sales was found in Top 5 companies. Since Japanese enterprises are also international transnational companies and also own patent products. Japanese local enterprises have performed very well in local market although foreign transnational companies are important players in the market. As seen from the sales of the top 20, the top 10 achieved total sales of JPY 233.4 billion accounting for 62.4% of the total market value. There are total of 4,361 products registered in Japan until 2015 and about 200 products are registered every year, and almost the same number of products is abolished. Performance of new products have influence much on sales results. So companies are always developing new products containing new AIs and new combinations. The rest 15% of the market is shared by other companies.
|Sales of top 20 Japanese agrochemical firms in 2013|
|1||Syngenta Japan K.K.||32,264||32,902||-1.9|
|2||Nissan Chemical Industries, Co., Ltd.||31,580||29,752||6.1|
|6||Hokko Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd.||22,280||22,048||1.1|
|7||MITSUI CHEMICALS AGRO, INC||18,543||18,594||-0.3|
|9||Nippon Soda Co.,Ltd.||13,388||13,348||0.3|
|11||Dow Chemical Japan Ltd.||11,686||11,927||-2.0|
|12||BASF Japan Ltd||11,364||12,571||-9.6|
|13||AGRO-KANESHO CO., LTD.||10,836||10,384||4.4|
|14||Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha,Ltd.||11,829||10,988||7.7|
|15||Du Pont K.K.||7,236||7,954||-9.0|
|16||Meiji Seika pharma Co., Ltd.||6,806||6,833||-0.4|
|17||Sumitomo chemical garden products inc.||6,753||6,714||0.6|
|18||OAT Agrio Co., Ltd.||5,964||5,104||16.8|
|19||Hokusan Co Ltd||5,181||5,129||1.0|
|20||Arista LifeScience Corporation||4,725||4,605||2.6|
|Note:Processed data based on the latest JMAFF statistics reported by pesticide companies
1 2012-2013: from Oct 2012 to Sept 2013
2 2011-2012: from Oct 2011 to Sept 2012
Among the top 20, 12 achieved a growth, of which 2 achieved two-digit growth. Eight companies suffered a slight drop and half of them are transnational companies. The Top 10 seems no change except Sumitomo Chemical and Bayer Cropsicence changed their position. Sumitomo achieved an 8.7% growth and replaced Bayer Cropscience of no growth now ranked No.3. The annual sales reached JPY 29.1billion Yen (only Japanese market, oversea sales were not included). It is supported by its strong developing attractive new products in-house, in-licensing new products and pursuing partnerships. Sumitomo also increased production capacity: build a new plant to produce flumioxazin in Oita, Japan; as well as a decrease in selling and other costs.Kumiai chemical ranked No.5 and achieved an annual sales of JPY 26.3 billion yen and a rate of.13.3% growth. In this year, herbicide was of the best performance in this year with growth rate reaching 34%. Kumiai benefited from the herbicide sales in rice field, additionally also some novel fungicide in horticulture, and in non-crop area.
Five foreign tansnational enterprises in Japan were found no growth even decrease of sales. Syngenta ranking No.1 was 1.9% decrease. Bayer Cropscience ranking No. 4 dropped from No. 3 because of 0% growth. Dow Chemical Japan Ltd ranking No. 11 was found a decreasing rate of 2.0%. Both BASF ranking 12 and Dupont ranking 15 were faced a more than 9.0% decrease rate. This means their products became less attractive for farmers.
It is worth noting that OAT Agrio Co., Ltd. ranking No. 18 showed a growth rate of 16.8%. It was the fastest sales growing company in Top 20. The sale was JPY 5.9 billion Yen. Performance of insecticide in this year was with growth rate 32%. It will bring future growth that OAT established OAT & IIL india Laboratories Private Limited based on an agreement with Insecticides (India) Limited. It also launched the fungicide Gatten in Japan.
Founded in 2002 by Mr. Seiji Takamura, Joy Consulting Ltd is an independent consulting company for the registration and development of agrochemicals. Based in Tokyo, the company is equipped with substantial experience with pesticide registration in Japan.
• Cover all aspects in the regulation of pesticide from safety, analytical chemistry, toxicology, environmental fate, ecotoxicology, efficacy and crop residue studies
• Cater to foreign companies who do not have regulatory department here in Japan
• Highly experienced staff to analyze your regulatory needs and data requirements
• Joy Consulting Ltd is independent of any laboratory so they can contact highly reputed GLP laboratories that best suits the needs of our clients
• Management of all the stage of development in pesticide registration from efficacy trials, application dossier preparation, negotiation with authority until registration is granted
• Maintenance of registration as a domestic agent to cope with guideline updates
• Introduction of foreign bio-pesticides to Japanese distributors
More from AgroNews
- Data: A powerful crop protection tool of modern agricultural
- Developing Agrochemical Formulations - New Challenges, Solutions and Trends
- 2018 Formulation & Adjuvant Technology Magazine Is Now Available For Downloading
- Brazil introduced new bill aiming to reduce registration time for agrochemicals by half